Deadline approaches for Kansas Historical Society student photo contest
Freedom's Frontier National Heritage Area News Release (on behalf of Kansas Historical Society)
Contact: Marearl Denning, project coordinator, (913) 345-9416, (913) 488-1076, firstname.lastname@example.org or Kansas Historical Society, (785) 272-8681, email@example.com
Kansas legislative spouses and Kansas Historical Society sponsor photo contest for students
Kansas students wishing to enter the Happy Birthday, Kansas! Student Photo Contest have until October 31, 2015 to submit their photos online. Judging
The Happy Birthday, Kansas! photo contest submissions must have been shot between April 1 and October 31, 2015. Prizes will be awarded on Kansas Day, January 29, 2016, at the Kansas State Capitol in Topeka. In celebration of the state’s 155th birthday, the theme of the photo contest is Your Kansas Community.
Eligible participants must be in grades first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, 10th, 11th, or 12th during school year 2015 to 2016.
Twelve first place and 12 second place prizes will be awarded. First place prizes are iPads; second place prizes are Kindles.
- Photos will be judged on creativity, technical achievement, depiction of theme, and composition.
- Photos must be submitted online. Photos must be submitted no later than 5 p.m. CDT October 31, 2015.
- Photos submitted must not be digitally manipulated or enhanced. Digitally manipulated or enhanced photos will be disqualified. Cropping and color correction are acceptable.
- Photo entries should be high quality JPGs, 300 dpi, and no larger than 8 inch by 10 inch size.
- A student may submit up to five photos but is only eligible for one prize.
In submitting photos, the photograph is transferring ownership to the Kansas Historical Society, thereby giving the Historical Society permission to make available to the public, sell images to researchers when requested, and use in publications, social media, websites, displays, and other places without payment or other consideration. Additionally, by submitting a photo that includes human subjects, the photographer is indicating they have obtained full permission from those subjects for the photograph to be used in these manners as well.
Entries must include:
- A title and brief description of each photo
- City and county where the photo was taken
- Photographer’s full name and age
- Names of state representative and senator
- Email address
- Parent or guardian email address
- Parent or guardian phone number
For more information, visit the Kansas Historical Society
- 30 -